Wednesday, February 15, 2012

LAST NIGHT IN ROME :(

   As I write this Blog there is a heaviness in my heart. I really cannot believe that my five weeks in Rome comes to an end tomorrow morning. It has been one of the best times of my life. I knew I would learn a lot about myself on this trip, but never did I think I would learn this much and so fast. Last time I departed Italy I knew I most likely would be back for Study Abroad. Now as I depart Italy tomorrow morning...I truly don't know if I will ever be back to this beautiful country. I have been so blessed with such an outstanding opportunity, but I would be lying if I did not say it saddens me to recognize this chapter of my life is coming to an end tomorrow. Thankfully, another amazing chapter is about to begin. Five weeks in Seville ..SPAIN! Tomorrow at this time I will be waiting in an airport in Madrid Spain to catch my flight to Seville Spain.
   But... first I need to recap the last few days! Yesterday before our last Moral Theology of the Marketplace class Adrian, Anthony, Nora, Ricardo and myself went to the Colosseum. We have tried on five different occasions to do the inside of the Colosseum tour. Once again...the Colosseum was CLOSED! Apparently the very minimal snow Rome saw last week has caused the Colosseum to be closed for days. It reopens tomorrow morning just three hours before we depart for the airport. We are waking up extra early to make sure we get there to see it!!!!
   After another failed Colosseum attempt we went to one of my favorite places in all of Italy. Castel Sant'Angelo!

      Since it was Valentine's Day they gave reduced admission for couples. Instead of paying eight dollars each it was eight dollars per couple. Adrian and I were loving that! We climbed all the way to the top to get the whole entire view of the city of Rome. It was well worth it.










   If you look closely enough you can spot every single major Monument in Rome. The Pantheon, Colosseum, Memorial to Victor Emmanuel II, St. Peter's Basilica, several other Churches and even the area where St. John's campus is located. Ricardo pointed out the "secret" wall connected from the Castle to The Vatican. Obviously, its not a secret anymore, but back in the day the Pope used it to travel back and forth from the Castle and Vatican.
It was such a great way to spend one of our last days in Rome. Afterwards our group got a little separated on the way down from the top of the Castle. Adrian and I wandered into different rooms filled with beautiful artwork. One room even had a original bed a Pope slept in! I wanted to take a picture, but they did not allow it. 
When we got to the bottom of the Castle Adrian and I decided to go ride the Carousal directly in front of the Castle. I had been dying to go on it since we got here. 




      After our Carousal ride in front of the Castle, Adrian and I made our way back to Campus for class. We walked by a building we have walked by a million times without note. Today though we noticed a group of people gathered around the entrance. We walked closer. When we got near the people we realized they were news reporters and cameramen. Adrian asked one of the cameramen in English what he was doing here and he did not understand at all. Adrian then asked in Italian and the man spoke back in Italian. Adrian said he really couldn't make out what he said, but it sounded like he said "Judiciary". I was now VERY curious. I decided to approach the Police Officers near the building and ask them. The Officer responded, "Supreme Court. Waiting on decision." I got so excited. Adrian and I were watching history take place in Italy! We were right in front of the Supreme Court, a building we walk by regularly, and we did not even realize it! We waited for a little while longer. I couldn't help but think my Dad would be loving this!!!!


       Once again it is the little unexpected moments like this I will always remember. Things unplanned are always the best memories. 
     Last night because it was Valentines Day and our One Yea Adrian and I went out for dinner alone. We went to a restaurant called Tattoria that was located near Piazza Di Popolo. In the center of Piazza Di Popolo, Carnevale, a huge festival in Italy was being prepared for. It takes place a specific amount of days before Easter each and every year. It is the festival in which you see all the people wearing various masks. Each city in Italy has a different mask that pertains to them. We will be missing Carnevale by a few days, but it was rally cool to see them setting up. In fact, we got to sneak a peak of all the dancers practicing right in the center of Piazza Di Popolo. 




        Our dinner wasn't exactly something to brag about unfortunately :( We chose a restaurant that had a lot of locals inside, which was not a good choice. They all hated us!!!! First of all, Adrian and I ordered a pasta dish each. Clearly...this was a place where you order more than one course. While ordering I asked the waiter if they had any pasta at all without meat in it (can't stand the meat here!) and he snapped at me. "No. Impossible." he said, looking away. Adrian and I felt like everyone in the restaurant was staring at us as their lobster and octopus came out from the kitchen while they sipped on their expensive wine. When Adrian asked our waiter for olive oil for our bread it seemed like the biggest inconvenience in the world. The couple next to us was definitely talking about us in Italian. Neither of us enjoyed our meal, but we did enjoy each others company.  It was clear we were not welcomed at this restaurant, despite the fact we were paying them to be there!! When my dish came out it was gross. It was plain pasta drenched in olive oil with chunks of black pepper. Adrian's was the same, but with chunks of bacon fat. We were both disappointed, but made the best of it. We practically ran out of the restaurant the second we finished our meal and headed straight towards the Gelato place right by campus.
        On a positive note...the Gelato place had Peanut Butter flavored Gelato with Chocolate chunks!! Something they had never had before. Adrian and I both ordered a dish. Best Gelato I have had so far in Italy and a great way to end the evening out!
     The rest of the night we spent studying for our final. I was up until 2am studying, but it was totally worth it. When the final came around today I aced it! I am going to miss my Moral Theology of the Marketplace class. I learned so much! 
    Adrian is currently interviewing via Skype for an RA position back at SJU for next fall! My interview via Skype is Friday. We are waiting for him to get dinner. Our last dinner in Rome :( Then a little more packing and off to bed we go :( I cannot believe tomorrow night I will be in Spain! Life is moving so fast!
     I have done SO much in the last five weeks in Italy. Vatican City, Papal Blessing, Naples, Capri, Pomepii, Castel San Angelo, Ancient Roman Ruins, Assisi, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Florence, Piazza Novona, Piazza Di Popolo, Roma Soup Kitchen, The Colosseum, Pantheon, Memorial to Victor Emmanuel II, the first Snow Fall in 27 years, Class, Homework...Pasta, Gelato and Crepes galore...and even more!!!!! What a five weeks it has been!!!!!
    Well it is time to go get ready for dinner...I guess that means I have to get out of my sweatpants! Hope everyone has a great rest of the week!! I will try to Blog as soon as I get to Spain...but please be patient :) Safe travels to my little sister who is on her way to HAWAII right now!!!!! She deserves this trip more than anyone I know and I am SO happy for her. LOVE YOU ERIN!
    
XOXO Shann


1 comment: