Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Beauty of Seville and a Not So Nice Reality Check...

   Well, the last few days have definitely been a reality check. My Spanish class is ridiculously difficult. In fact, my teacher does not speak a word of English. My class is supposed to be Beginner Spanish, but the majority of the class took Spanish in High School (I took Latin) so our Professor automatically assumed we ALL knew basic Spanish. I do not. Poor Adrian spent three hours with me last night and two hours with me tonight trying to teach me a years worth of Spanish. I learned the Spanish Alphabet in one night, ten key phrases and tonight learned numbers one through twenty-five. Adrian also had to teach me different conjugations for different words and how to use the present tense (all things my Professor just assumed we already knew). Most of my classmates, including the ones that took Spanish in High School, are struggling greatly with this class already. My Professor LOVES to call students up to the board (aka me) and have us recite phrases and words I don't even know. It is embarrassing and feels like 8th Grade math class all over again!
      Today I was scolded for looking at my paper when counting from one to twenty-five in Spanish. Never in my life have I counted to more than ten in Spanish. I had NO idea any number after the number ten, nor was I ever asked to memorize it. Lets just say Adrian has had to deal with many tears these last few days while acting as my stand-in Professor. Lets just hope things get better from here.
     On a much more positive note I had a great morning/afternoon before class. The weather in Seville is to die for. Today I was hot...yes HOT wearing jeans and T-Shirt. LOVE THIS WEATHER!!!
      St. John's had a three hour trip planned for us in the city of Seville this afternoon. We really had no idea what the trip was all about because things really aren't communicated well here in Spain. Unlike Rome, we are not on a St. John's campus, so things are a little less organized and a lot more complicated. Even so, Adrian, Anthony, Nora and I decided to do the trip anyway despite not knowing where or what we were doing exactly. I am so glad we went or we would have missed out on a great opportunity.
  We were taken to a recently built structure in Spain nicknamed "Mushroom" in Spanish because of the look of it. The structure itself was completed just one year ago and is now a very popular attraction in Spain. The structure is modeled after a particular tree found all over Seville that looks like none other than...a Mushroom (hence the nickname)! The trees are massive like the structure and so beautiful. They are such unique trees.


     The reason the structure was built in the first place was because forty years ago it was found that parts of Seville had been built right on top of an Ancient Roman city. In fact, to this day Archeologists in Seville find all sorts of ruins constantly.
    When these particular ruins were discovered forty years ago Seville did not have enough money or resources to figure out what to do with them. So, last year they finally had enough money to build the structure that we got to visit today. The structure covers or as some would say "protects" the ruins. The structure itself was designed by a German Architect and is made completely out of wood. This photo I took specifically really shows the influence that the Seville trees had on this architectural masterpiece.


    The structure was so big that I could not even attempt to get an entire picture of it in one camera frame. Everyone on the trip (about twenty of us) kept saying for some reason the structure reminded us of a ride or attraction you would see at Disney World. It was so modern, yet so classic at the same time. I truly have NEVER seen a structure quite like this one in my entire life. We stood outside of it for awhile taking pictures and admiring in awe.



      Inside of the structure on the first level is where we got to see the Ancient Ruins some dating back 2,800 years ago. The ruins were not only Roman, but also Arab and Phoenician. The Arab's in particular have had a great influence in Seville. Many names and structures have a direct relation to the Arab influence. The ruins reminded me so much of the Ancient Ruins in Rome by the Colosseum. It was sort of difficult to get clear pictures of the ruins because they were all enclosed in glass, but to see them in person was really nice. I love seeing so much history in Europe. Despite a lot of great things the United States has to offer, nowhere in America do you see History quite like this. I feel so fortunate to be experiencing it all.




    After seeing the outside of the structure and the ruins on the first level we took an elevator ride to the top of the structure. From the top we could see all of Seville. What you do not realize from the bottom of the structure is how intricate the structure is at the top. The structure at the top is like walking through a maze and every corner you turn is a different view of Seville. It is very difficult to explain in words. I will do my best through the pictures I took to explain. Hopefully, that will give you a better understanding.










     As I said earlier, I have never in my life seen a structure built like this one. Not to mention, I have never been to the top of a structure quite like this one! It was so worth the trip!!!! I am not sure if we would have come to this if St. John's had not brought us. It was so much fun.
      When we got back to our Hostel/School. Adrian and Nora were off to do their community service. I had three hours still before class so I sat out on our balcony and worked on homework. I got a little more sunburned! oops! The whole time I was out on the balcony I kept thinking...it is going to be a difficult adjustment readjusting to the weather in Paris! If I never see snow or feel the cold ever again I will be perfectly content (my mother's influence probably!)  I want to stay here!
     The beauty of Seville is astonishing. Every single day I fall more and more in love with the city. It has so much to offer. So far if there is any place I would want to come back to after my Europe Trip it would be Spain. I could see myself living here (better figure out my Spanish first though!!!!).
   Anyway it is getting late! Lots to look forward to this week including going to Portugal on Friday!!! Trying to stay positive about this Spanish course. On a positive note I got an A in my Moral Theology of the Marketplace class while in Rome...now cross your fingers I can do the same in my two classes here!
    HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY TO MY AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL (inside and out) LITTLE SISTER ERIN. It has been a hard year for her...but she has made it through with grace and poise. She is currently in Hawaii and I am SO thrilled for her!!!!! Be sure to wish her a happy birthday today (February 22nd)!
 One last thing...if you are interested in seeing the final video of Adrian and I jumping off the Bridge here it is! Click on the link..this video is taken from my helmet..watch your ears though..lots of screaming! :)
                                           BRIDGE JUMP - VIDEO FROM HELMET

 
XOXO Shann

2 comments:

  1. Hola Shannon,
    That architect has some imagination!Amazing pics.
    Senora M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon! I am sorry your Spanish class is so hard! Sevilla has changed since 2004... that building and those ruins are amazing looking. Try to get out to Italica, some ruins outside of the city, I loved them.

    Ah Sevilla, mi corazon!

    ReplyDelete