Wednesday, February 8, 2012

If Only You Could Take the "Study" out of Study Abroad...

   Well, it has been a few days since I last blogged!! Who knew classes on five week intervals would be so intense, especially towards the end. My final for Theology of the Marketplace is already next Wednesday...and get this... I leave Rome next THURSDAY! I can't believe how much has happened and changed in my life in the last five weeks. I already feel like a much different person, yet these last five weeks have FLOWN by. I completed my final project and paper...happy to say I pulled off a 96 on the presentation and a 100 on the paper! Now lets just hope my VERY comprehensive final turns out similar.
    The last few days have involved a lot of studying and a lot of homework, but a lot of fun too. Saturday we made it to the Hardrock Cafe :)
        It was SO yummy and SO worth the travel in the freezing cold. It has been very cold these last few days...which is probably a good thing considering the work we have had for this class.
     Our Metro ride to the Hardrock was QUITE the adventure. I couldn't believe how packed the Metro was. I am used to packed Subways, especially going to school in NYC, but NYC had nothing on Rome last Friday. It was so scary packed that at one point Mary was pulled down by the crowd into the crack between the Metro car and platform. People were shoving and pushing, yelling, screaming and running. An announcement was made over the loud speaker in Italian and people started running in all different directions. At one point it was sheer panic. We were standing person to person on the Metro and at some stops the doors were closing on people trying to squeeze on.
      After we got out of the very chaotic Metro station...we ruled that the reason it was so crazy there was because of the snow. Even several days after the snow storm in Rome...the Italians still were having difficulty dealing with it. Our advisor explained today there is not a single Plow in all of Rome because for the last 27 years Rome hasn't needed a plow. After exiting the Metro Station it did not take long to figure out all of Rome was and still is a sheet of ice. No salt could been seen anywhere. Clearly Rome needs a lesson or two from New York!
    After a slight hike up a hill by the Spanish Steps and a few almost slips on the ice... we made it to the Hardrock! It was about a forty-five minute wait, but the Hardrock is entertaining enough so we did not mind. I loved seeing some familiar sights on the walls at Hardrock and some familiar tunes filling the air. These included a hand written note from John Lennon, Ozzy Osbourne's cowboy boots and Switchfoot concert playing on the flat screen TV.

        It felt a little like America, especially since just about everyone inside, including our waitress, spoke English. It was also really nice for a change to have American food! I did not hesitate for one second ordering a big burger and french fries...with KETCHUP!
      I think Mary really enjoyed her birthday...the Hardrock even sang her happy birthday in English with an Ice Cream! Its hard enough not being able to celebrate a birthday home...and even harder to be in a totally different environment. I really think Hardrock was a perfect choice for a birthday...reminded us all of home :)
     We really wanted to all go out after dinner that night, but it was so cold even five minutes outside had us shivering and looking for warmth. It was also deserted outside. Despite being in a huge tourist attraction spot in Rome and by an overcrowded Metro station, it seemed empty. When we walked by the Spanish Steps it was almost an eery feeling. They were covered in ice and snow, very few people around. Usually, it is difficult to get within feet of the Spanish Steps because it is so crowded, but not tonight. Empty. 

     Despite the fact we all really wanted to go out we decided it was best to head back to the dorms. Most things were closed because of the cold and snow anyway. Nora, Anthony, Adrian and myself came back to the dorm and watched a movie 50/50. No, it isn't really a major thing that has happened to me while in Rome, but the movie did have a great impact on me and I feel the need to mention it.
   The movie was about a man battling cancer and all the people in his life being affected by it. I couldn't help but think of Luke and his personal battle with cancer (for those that don't already know Luke was my sister Erin's best friend that passed away this summer from a long battle with Leukemia). Watching this movie really put things in perspective for me once again and reminded me of the gift of life I have been given. Sometimes I need to step back and remember I am in Rome, Italy. I have been given an opportunity of a life time and I cannot take it for granted ever. Frankly, I cannot take life for granted. Anthony and Nora both got really emotional during the movie, as did myself (poor Adrian fell asleep!) and it also reminded me of what great people I am surrounded by here. It amazes me what a turn around High School to College can be. Nora and I spent a lot of time talking about Luke after the movie. I think of Luke often while here.
     Sunday was the Superbowl and a group of us went out to dinner and then to a Irish Pub after called Scholars to watch the game. We met up with Sarah and her friends once again. The bar was so packed, filled to maximum capacity, so we came back to the dorm not too long after. Anthony was able to find a link that streamed the game, but he ended up being the only one that made it past halftime.
     Last night we went to a really cute restaurant and to see the Pantheon. I absolutely loved the Pantheon. Its such an amazing structure, it literally took my breath away at first glance.


    One thing I really loved about Rome is the fact I spent a majority of High School studying the Architecture and Ancient Rome. I really appreciate seeing sights like the Pantheon and the Colosseum.
   The restaurant we went to was just a few feet from the Pantheon called La Cantina Dell' Arcano. Before we leave Europe we all agreed we really wanted to have a traditional five course meal. This restaurant offered a three course meal deal for just ten Euro, so we decided that it would be perfect. Nora, Adrian, Anthony, Ricardo and myself dined.  I got pasta, chicken, salad and a soda. It was really yummy!
     Right by the restaurant we ventured into a store with all different trinkets made of wood. It was different, but we had fun exploring. Everything was handmade right in the shop.


       After dinner and a little exploring we went to get a Crepe at Blue Ice, a famous Crepe shop all over Rome. 
         Adrian asked the woman working what kind of Crepe she suggested getting and she said anything with Nutella and white Chocolate...so we decided to get both! I got Nutella, white Chocolate and Banana. Nora, Anthony and Ricardo all got the same. Adrian got Nutella and Strawberries in his. IT WAS AMAZING. I LOVE Crepes...I guess that is a good sign for Paris!

  Today we had a long day in class and preparing for our Final. We did have a nice dinner though at a restaurant close to campus. I had a really unique pasta dish...delicious actually. It was Ricotta in a white cream sauce with Walnuts with a glass of house white wine. It was one of the most unique pasta dishes I have had yet in Italy. 
   Tomorrow Nora and I don't have class at all and the boys get out at noon. Nora and I are going to do a little shopping in the morning and then when the boys get out of class we are going to do some of our final sight seeing. STILL CANT BELIEVE WE LEAVE NEXT THURSDAY! We are going to do the inside of the Colosseum and Castel San Angelo tomorrow. Rome is supposed to get another really bad storm this weekend and it has been advised by the staff here we do not travel far. St. John's even bribed us by giving us all tickets for a Vatican tour for Friday morning. We were planning on doing our Sistine Chapel tour on Thursday (40 dollar tour!) and we are all THRILLED we do not have to pay now! Although we are a little bummed we won't be making it to Venice (the canals that they use for travel are all frozen anyway). We are going to try and see the Leaning Tower of Pisa and possibly Assisi. Weather plays a big factor in our weekend plans! 
    As much as I love Italy I am beyond excited for Spain. It was 70 degrees there today! They also provide us with three meals a day, everything is cheaper, and apparently the dorms are even nicer (they wash our sheets once a week!). Traveling has been difficult given the freezing temperatures in Italy and we have some amazing trips planned for Spain. Barcelona, Madrid, and Morocco just to name a few. I cannot believe how fast time is flying by. Is it really February!? Last time I checked I was boarding a flight to Italy!?!
   Well, I hope to Blog tomorrow in between studying for my final. So excited for the inside of the Colosseum..nothing like it! Thanks for reading :) and a special good luck to my Gamma Phi Beta sisters back at home... you are going to rock bid day tomorrow! LOVE YOU ALL. 

XOXO Shann 

1 comment:

  1. Ciao Shannon,
    I laughed at your Metro experience. One thing Italians are not very good at is waiting patiently in line and taking turns. I don't know if you can blame all the chaos on only the snow.
    I had a similar experience in a bank-- maybe not quite as bad, but not by much.
    The Pantheon is also one of my favorite buildings, but no wait, maybe its St. Peter's or Santa Maria in Trastevere. I also really like Castel Sant'Angelo. Saw that in the dark on Halloween night. a little creepy but VERY cool.

    Love the pic of a deserted Spanish steps. I have never seen it like that!

    Also, you won't have to give up crepes and Nutella yet-- they have that in Paris too.

    I need to go back to college so that I can study abroad......

    Buon divertimento,
    Signora M

    ReplyDelete