Sunday, January 29, 2012

Naples, Capri and Pompeii...one of the BEST weekends of my life.

    I don't even know where to start! It has been such an amazing and life-changing weekend. Trying to figure out how to write a Blog about this whole trip...AND do the trip justice... seems nearly impossible.
    Well, I suppose technically the weekend started Thursday night (we don't have classes on Fridays) when I met up with my best friend from home, Sarah. Her dorm was literally a five minute walk away from mine and seeing Sarah for the first time in Rome actually made me really emotional. It is so crazy to think someone I grew up with in Clifton Park NY is now in ITALY with me at the same time. It was awesome being able to meet her friends from school and the fact she was able to meet mine as well.

       We had a really nice dinner right by Campo Di Fiore. I got Pena (in a green sauce) and it was absolutely delicious.

     After dinner we all went out to a pub called Studio 18. We had a blast and got home pretty early because our trip to Naples started early Friday morning. 
      Unlike Florence, we brought a much smaller group to Naples. It was just Adrian, Anthony, Ricardo, Nora and myself. We had the time of our lives. We also planned this trip out a lot better. I did a lot of research on where to go and where to stay, etc. It helped so much and we all agreed this was by far the best part of our Italy stay so far. 
      The train ride to Naples was gorgeous. We drove through wine country so all you could see for miles was green grass and hills with vineyards all around. There were cattle farms and small villages on top of the mountains. When I think of Italy, this is what I always had pictured. Words cannot describe the beauty on the way to Naples. No picture could truly capture it. Trees filled with oranges and lemons. People harvesting, chickens and cows. I was mesmerized the entire trip and I know the train ride to Naples with forever be engrained in my mind. 
     Once we got to Naples we got a Taxi to take us to the Hostel. You think NYC driving is bad....get in a Taxi in Italy!!! I was in tears the whole way...our Taxi driver was a mad man!!! Thankfully we did make it to the Hostel safely.
    Our Hostel - Hostel of the Sun... is ranked one of the best Hostels in all of Italy. It was right on the Bay- perfect location to both the Ferry to Capri and bus to Pompeii. All five of us were in one room- dorm style living and though we did not spend much time in the room, it wasn't too bad. 


     We didn't waste anytime and all quickly got ready to explore Naples. We had been warned Naples wasn't too nice and would be a waste of time...but that wasn't the case at all. We had an AWESOME time in Naples alone. Our Hostel was extremely helpful and accommodating. The woman at the front desk gave us directions to the best pizza place in all of Naples (Naples is known for its pizza) and we walked the streets of Naples looking for it. Along the way we saw a lot of Ancient buildings, the University of Naples, little shops and restaurants. 


    Naples is much different from Rome and it is obvious the people here are not as wealthy. Yet all of us agreed we felt like this was more of a real feel of Italy. Not everyone in Italy has the money to live like the people in Rome do.
      When we found the restaurant our Hostel recommended it was packed inside. It is called Gino's Pizza and within five minutes of being there we knew we were in for a treat. Not only were our pizzas HUGE, they were the best pizza I have ever had and the cheapest so far in Italy!!! I paid 3 Euro for a pizza pie to myself!!! 

      There is an upstairs and downstairs to Gino's. The waiters and waitresses use a pizza elevator to get the pizzas to the second level (thats where we ate). Gino's also closes everyday for three hours at Siesta time. Its such a different world here. 
       After our awesome lunch we decided we wanted to find the underground tour of Ancient Naples our Hostel recommended. Using the map the Hostel gave us we were able to find it in less then five minutes. It cost us eight Euro each because we are students to have a two-hour underground tour in English. It was SO worth it. The tour was called Napoli Sotterranea and we were brought to the under ground Ancient Greek and Roman city. We started with seeing an Ancient home that the Ancient Romans and Greeks actually lived in.

     From there our tour guide brought us underground even further to see the Ancient Greek-Roman Theatre. The Theatre had been underground for Thousands of years without it even being known it existed. An archeologist (our tour guides boss) excavated the theatre himself and then realized the people of Naples had been living right on top of it for years without even knowing it. We could only see parts of the theatre, but what we were able to see was astounding. The emperor Nero had actually performed in this Theatre many times. He is quoted saying that he would never perform in Rome because he prefers the almost Greek city of Naples. To think I was standing in one of the same spots the Emperor Nero had been thousands of years ago is mind blowing. On this tour I definitely felt like my five years of studying Latin and the Ancient Roman culture was well worth it. 
   We also got to see an old Ancient Roman oven, a typical Neapolitan home, Paredon, and Nativity Cribs exhibition. One of my favorite parts of the tour was seeing the Ancient Greek and Roman aqueducts. We walked down 121 stairs and through the tightest passages I have ever seen to see these aqueducts. I was terrified. I am not really claustrophobic, but I am slightly scared of going through extremely tight spaces (I think my sister Erin is rubbing off on me). I debated sitting out on this portion of the tour, but Adrian repeatedly encouraged me to be brave and just do it because I don't want to miss out. So...I did! I was so nervous, but it was well worth it when we got to see the aqueducts. There were two different aqueducts; one used to transport water to the rich, which was a private one. Then there was a much smaller one used to transport water to the poor. The one used for the poor was huge. Both aqueducts are still filled with water today. There is no lights underground here..so the only way we could get through the crawl space sized passages was with candle light. 

    I don't have a good picture of me going through the passageways, but Adrian does. I will try and post them tomorrow after he uploads his pictures from the trip. I probably look terrified in them anyway! haha
     After the Neapolitans discovered the Ancient city underground they decided to make use of the large space. For awhile it was used as a dump for garbage, that was before WWII. During WWII it was used as a  bomb shelter. Naples was heavily affected by WWII and after the garbage was all cemented over, it was turned into a bomb shelter. People lived underground here for not only weeks at a time, but some for months. Naples was an extremely dangerous place before the United States stepped in. Hundreds of children ages eight to thirteen were actually fighting against the Germans. There pictures are on the walls underground. Some remnants of toys, sewing machines, and even military tools were left over by the people of Naples and are now on display.


     Our tour was fabulous. I wish I could detail every last bit of it, but we got so much information it is impossible. 
     After our underground tour we went to a Limoncello shop next store (Dessert wine made of lemons) and did a tour of that. All of the Limoncello, lemon chocolate, lemon candies and even lemon pasta are made right there in the factory. I ended up buying some lemon candy because the tour was so nice and it was free. Everyone else did some Limoncello tasting, but I am not a big fan so I opted out, but quite enjoyed watching everyone else taste it. Who knew they only use the lemon peals to make Limoncello!!!!





    After our two tours we were all exhausted. We headed back towards the Hostel for dinner and ate at a really cute restaurant called Trattoria Castel Nuovo. The Castel Nuovo is right by our Hostel as well, I will get to that soon. We actually ended up going there for dinner both nights because it was fairly cheap and good food. Naples can be kind of scary at night and this restaurant was extremely close to campus. The first night Nora and I both got Gnocchi. It was great. The second night we all mostly got Pizza again. 
   We were up bright and early on Saturday to go to Capri, an Island right outside of the Bay of Naples. Our ferry left a little later then anticipated so we used that opportunity to visit Castel Nuovo the castle right across from the bay. It was another mind-blowing sight.




        If I had to pick my absolute favorite part of the trip this weekend...It would be Capri hands down. The island shops, restaurants and stores are actually all closed...besides TWO for the winter months. The island was basically a ghost town. The five of us kept commenting it was like we were on our own private island for the day. We took the ferry to get there...a very rocky ride! but once we were there we were all mesmerized. The island is GORGEOUS. Overlooking the entire Sea...bright blue water and rocks and hills for miles and miles. It is no wonder why it is an American Celebrity hot spot. We spent the day walking around the Island...seeing all the historical sights. We did a hike to one of the highest points on the island looking over the entire sea and did another one down the island to one of the lowest points. The hikes were INTENSE but we were all troopers and have AMAZING pictures to show for it.







    I have so many amazing pictures from our Capri adventure it is difficult to only choose a few. I posted nearly 300 on my Facebook page so feel free to check those out or comment on this Blog so I can send you some more directly.
    Our weather for Capri was fabulous as well. By the end of the trip we all had our jackets off. It may technically be "winter" but it definitely felt like a Spring day. We had so many laughs, great pictures and so many amazing memories. At one point Adrian, Ricardo and I were hiking up the island and had to take a breather on a rock. Ricardo started playing a song on his iPhone out loud and we all just sat there looking out at the ocean. I turned to them and said, "I feel like ten years from now we are going to look back on this exact moment and be like WOW...we really lived the life." Both Adrian and Ricardo nodded, lost in thought. It was a serene moment and I felt so blessed to be sharing it with four of my best friends. 
    Adrian and Ricardo introduced us to these flowers that are eatable on our hike. Nora and I were skeptical at first, but they ensured us that they used to eat them as kids and their Grandpa would yell at them telling them dogs peed on those! haha. They honestly tasted like Sour Patch Kids!!!!! They were so yummy!

     We ate lunch at a little Cafe near the bus stop in Capri and because it was one of two restaurants open it was outrageously expensive. We sucked it up though and were happy once our tummy's were full. We got to see some local kids playing in the street and that was a pretty cool sight. I couldn't ever imagine growing up in a place like Capri, Italy. 
      We stayed on the beach down by the water until our ferry to take us home came. It was a life changing day. At one point while looking out at the view of the Sea, Blue Grotto, and all of the houses... I got choked up. I looked over at Nora...whom at the same time said... "I think this might be one of the best days of my life..." I knew it was true, we were all having one of the best days of our lives. I can see it now...Nora and I in our rocking chairs, old and wrinkly talking about our trip to Capri. as we were leaving Nora said, "I want to soak this all in...none of us may ever be here ever again." Even looking back now I get emotional. Capri has been the best part of Italy.
     We were all wiped out by Saturday night and only Ricardo and Anthony went out. Nora, Adrian and I hung out in the hostel. This morning once again we were up and at em'! Pompeii bound! We checked out of our Hostel and with a few bumps in the road eventually made it to Pompeii. An older Italian man showed us the bus and then guided us to the train that lead to Pompeii. He was SO sweet and so cute. He spoke just a little English and told us that his son lives in London and thats how he picked up some English. He understood how difficult it is to get around when you don't understand the language and proved to be one of the nicest Italians we have come by thus far. We owe it to him we were able to find Pompeii. 
       I have to say...I am pretty surprised Pompeii is not one of the seven wonders of the world. I finally got to see up close the stories I read about in Latin class for years. I saw my first Volcano...Mount Vesuvius. We walked through the ruins, everything from Temple's to houses to bodies covered in ash from the Volcano. Though we didn't do an actual tour, we tried to read all the signs so we could figure out what everything was. I read a particular sign that described the events of the day Pompeii was covered in ash because of Mt. Vesuvius. It took three separate explosions to kill every living thing in Pompeii and destroy many of the homes. The whole city was underneath ash and was dug up thousands of years later. The bodies were literally frozen in time. Adrian pointed out to me that there are signs all within the ruins that say "Pompeii Lives", but in Italian. It is true, Pompeii definitely still lives. 







     We noticed while at the Pompeii ruins there were a lot of stray dogs. In fact, we ran into two guys from SJU and they had a dog following them! We asked why he had a collar on and they told us that Pompeii puts collars on all of the stray dogs and labels them, "Pompeii Dog Number 4" for example. All of the dogs seem well kept and fed for the most part. You can actually adopt the stray dogs!!! One dog we fell in love with, the other SJU boys nicknamed him Jake. They said Jake followed them for miles while in the ruins and followed them all the way to the train station before they left. If I was from Italy...I would definitely be adopting Jake! Here are just some pictures of the strays we came across...


      After a long and amazing weekend our trip quickly came to a close. We caught the train back to Naples and then from there back to Rome. I suppose my last picture sort of sums up the trip. I was watching Adrian look out the window, sitting across from him on the train and I felt so content. I was content with him and with life. All of Italy was reflecting in his sun glasses and in that moment I felt so in love. In love with Adrian, in love with Italy and in love with my life. Looking out a train window can do a lot for a person...try it sometime. While the sights all around you zoom by, somehow life still seems to be stuck in a moment. Sitting across from Adrian on the train I couldn't help but think years from now... we may be sitting across from each other at dinner, in our own home who knows.. maybe even with some tots running around...no matter where life goes I can go back to that moment. As the train zooms away from Naples, Italy and life seems to be all wrapped up in this one moment... I am content. Looking out the window...looking ahead...looking forward...soaking it all in. 

     Another wonderful adventure comes to a close! Another busy week is about to begin! I hope you enjoyed this very long post :) Have a great week...catch up with you soon! 
       
       XOXO Shann




2 comments:

  1. Shannon,
    Your pictures are just amazing. I am so glad you are taking advantage of the opportunities to learn and enjoy Italy each day. May you continue to be blessed with the inquisitiveness and wonder of life. I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,

    I am very impressed that you not only went to NAPLES where few tourists venture, but that you planned the whole trip yourselves!
    The pizza looks so wonderful, my stomach is growling.. I can barely eat American pizza anymore.
    Capri IS amazing. I did the hike to the top a few years ago. Didn't know if I would actually make it without having a medical event.. but I did and the view was worth all the huffing and puffing.
    I am so happy that you are having a fabulous trip to a country i love so much.
    I particularly enjoy the food pics and restaurant stories.

    Buon divertimento

    ReplyDelete