Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bonjour de Paris!

    Bonjour all! I made it to France!
     It has been forever since I wrote a Blog. Honestly, when I sat down to write this Blog I thought to myself, "What the heck do I have to write about so far!?" I have spent the last four days since I got to Paris, France in bed with a double ear infection, chest infection and throat infection. Not a great start for sure. As I started to brain storm what I could Blog about I realized...actually I have learned a lot these last few days in Paris and definitely enough to write a Blog post about. I also got to do some sightseeing yesterday :) Not a lot...but I am still excited to share!
   Well, backtracking about five days...traveling from Spain to France. It was quite the miserable experience actually, flying on a plane with a double ear infection (that I only realized I had just hours before I boarded) was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. Not only on one plane, but two (one for both ears I suppose!), but I actually still had a very interesting conversation with a man on the first plane that was a nice distraction from my ear pain. I was able to move my seat on the plane next to Adrian, in-between him and an older man. The older man and Adrian had been engaging in conversation and kindly invited me to do the same when I sat down. I could tell Adrian was excited to share with me whatever this man was sharing with him. The man was from Great Britain and through an hour long conversation with him I learned all about why he was in Spain. He was from Manchester, England more specifically and explained that often the European Union tries to make an example out of the UK. Yet, the UK's economic situation is nothing to brag about either.
      He was an investment banker from the European Union (currently the class I am taking is on the EU and for those that do not know the European Union is; it is a collection of member-states within Europe. France, Germany, Spain, Great Britain, Italy, Greece, and so on. They follow some common laws and policies. Help with finances and solving major issues. Very controversial institution. Was first established for safety reasons aka war)
    This man's job is to basically find projects to invest the EU's money in, but these projects have to be geared towards fixing the economic crisis the European Union is facing. He has worked endlessly for years to try and convince the European Union to invest in a small, poor, desolate village in the center of Spain. The EU has finally agreed and he has spent the last three weeks there.
    His goal has been to invest money into small projects within this village where the main industry is mining. I pried him for a lot of questions and through those learned that he chose this village in Spain in particular because the economy was so horrible, education level so low and youth unemployment at nearly 65% this village is desperate. The EU investor believed if he could change the future of this village, it is an example for the rest of the world. If he can change the economy and youth unemployment rates (that are causing not only the EU, but the US as well to lose a entire generation of workers) then there is hope. He was an extremely intelligent man, pulling out his notebook and showing me all his ideas about saving this village and the economy. Ideas included a different method of using currency, not only investing, but educating people as well and encouraging parents to educate their children. He was brilliant and I truly could not follow everything he was telling me.
   What I did walk away with was enough though. He reiterated to me several times, "It just takes one person to make a difference. I just hope I can be that difference." He also told me that he feels like the world has given up on trying to solve the economic crisis. There has to be totally new ideas out there, even if that means starting from scratch. Things are not working right now...that is clear. It is time we start from the drawing board and figure out what needs to be change. Things cannot continue as such.
    I left the man I met on the plane quite astonished. I could not believe in an hour I was able to have such an inspiring conversation. I guess it truly does only take one person to make a difference. I wish that man luck and know I will think about his project in Spain often.
     The second plane ride was MUCH less pleasant. By the time we got off I was in tears and knew it was crucial I get to a doctor that night. Once we got to the Paris, St. John's campus the staff was so kind and helpful, calling me a doctor right away. As much as it really stinks to be sick in a foreign country, I definitely got an upfront experience with the system here. Within an hour of the doctor being called he was sitting on the couch in the St. John's lounge ready to write me a prescription. The doctor spoke broken english so the female RA was able to translate everything. She was so helpful. By the end of the appointment I was prescribed seven different medicines. I was overwhelmed, but looking forward to feeling better. I was also frustrated as I had to cough up (no pun intended) 100 Euro for a fifteen minute visit. Apparently, I will be reimbursed by the insurance company. Lets hope that is sooner rather than later!
    After the doctor appointment I was given the only pharmacy that was believed to be open in Paris at that hour (about 11pm)... no 24 hour CVS/Pharmacy here! Eduardo was kind enough to take Adrian and I to go find it. Unfortunately, just our luck, it was closed. I would have to wait until the morning. On a positive note, I was able to get a beautiful breathtaking view of the Eiffel Tower at night. I really needed the fresh air and Adrian, Eduardo and I sat by the river for about thirty minutes admiring the tower I had dreamed about seeing my whole life. Eduardo has been one of my best friends since my first day at St. John's (along with Adrian) and the three of us enjoyed this really special moment together. Talking about the beginning of college, the future and just admiring where we are in life right now. In hindsight, I probably should have went straight back to campus and crawled into bed, but oh well! I enjoyed being able to see the tower the first night in Paris. Despite the fact the French think the Eiffel Tower is an ugly sight... I think it is just beautiful. Probably one of the most beautiful structures I have ever encountered. The Tower itself is enough to come to France.
     The next morning I felt really horrible. I was able to get to Pharmacy with Adrian (I missed orientation) and got all my medicine. I broke out into a fever and couldn't help but miss my family a lot. Being sick in a foreign country really makes you appreciate all those nights your mom and dad stayed up with you when you were a sick kid. I definitely missed that a lot... but Adrian being the great guy he is came to the rescue. He ran out a bunch of times to the market and got me everything I needed. He basically skipped out on the first day in Paris to take care of me and for that I am forever grateful. He truly is such a great guy...and I have no shame in bragging about him!
   I have started feeling better everyday, it just takes time. I am looking forward to this upcoming week in Paris. This weekend Adrian and I plan on making up on all the sightseeing we lost out on by sticking around here. From what I have seen Paris is absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me a little of NYC and a little bit of Rome. The feel here in the dorms and outside of the dorms is very homey and comfortable.
   Yesterday my first class began. Metaphysics which is a Philosophy class. Everyone has been claiming it is very boring, but I actually enjoyed it today and yesterday. Some of the topics are interesting such as having alternate universes and questioning reality. The class I guess could be kind of boring...but so far I am enjoying it. Later today I begin my Art and Architecture class of France which I am looking forward to as well. As a requirement of the class we have to go to several art museums and sights...yay! Later this month we are going to Normandy. St. John's is taking us and I am looking forward to that. Also, Spring break is just 9 days away! Ireland, Germany and England... here I come!
    After class yesterday St. John's took us to do some sightseeing. Once again, hindsight, I probably should have stayed behind. I just really was over missing out and decided to suck it up and try and go. Our first stop was to go see a different viewing sight of the Eiffel Tower...it was a farther away view, but also overlooking the pools in front. I swear...I really think the view of the Eiffel Tower will never get old. Finally....some pictures!





After the Eiffel Tower we made our way to the Arc de Triomphe. It is a famous arc, featured in many movies and right in the heart of Place Charles de Gaulle. For those that do not know, it was commissioned to be made my Emperor Napoleon. It is a symbol of power which is quite obvious even at first glance and hence the name Arc de Triomphe. It is located by the famous Louvre museum (which I will be going to soon!) which used to be the King's palace. The entire road leading from the Louvre is the "King's Driveway" and perhaps one of the most famous roads in all of France. The French king used to be known as the closest thing to God. The Arc is also quite well known for its tomb of the unknown solider.






      There were many military officials around the Arc. Both the inside and outside of the Arc were so detailed and intricate. Most of St. John's climbed to the top of the Arc, but Adrian and I opted out. At this point I was already feeling pretty bad again and that would have pushed me over the edge. We decided to duck out early and head back to the dorms so I could rest before dinner. Overall, I felt better about having seen some sights at least. Hopefully as the week goes on I will be able to do even more. Adrian and I are hoping to see a movie later this week and go to Notre Dame this weekend. 
  The weather in Paris has been delightful. Our advisor here explained that Spring in Paris is not always this beautiful and we should take full advantage of it. I am really looking forward to doing so. In a way, as strange as it sounds, getting sick was probably good in a way. I feel like since I got to Europe I have been living in fast-forward and getting sick was my body way of telling me...its time to slow down and relax. This little weekend of relaxing is helping to prepare me for the next 5 weeks in France and for that I am grateful.
   Sorry this Blog post was not too exciting...but I just wanted to remind my readers I am still here! and will be posting some super exciting things soon! Just a little set back! Thanks as always for reading :) Hope you enjoy!
XOXO

Shann

No comments:

Post a Comment